Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dance Party USA



Over the last 9, almost 10 months I’ve been trying to build up some resistance to Elijah’s constant assault of cuteness. Because if I doubled over with heart melting glee every time he did something cute, I’d never leave the house.

For instance, if in the morning he pops his head up from his crib and smiles his two-toothed hilarious smile, I’ll drop to the ground and cover my eyes. Or if he sits on the ground and suddenly notices his hand and curiously opens and closes it like he’s never seen a hand before, I’ll avert my eyes and shout, “Warning! There is cuteness afoot!” Or if he suddenly sees Diana and laughs like a lunatic I’ll run from the room screaming. .

Well, over the weekend Eli started something so cute, no ant-cute measure on the planet could contain it. I had to spend several days in bed recovering from the cute attack.

You see, Eli now dances.

He gets in his crawling stance, on all fours, and if he hears music he likes, he’ll rock back and forth with a huge smile on his face. Simply imagining it can make you double over in heart melting glee. In fact, I’m a little overloaded with cute now. I’m going to take a break.

I’m back.

You know the most awesome part of his dancing? The only music he dances to comes form his toys. The train that poops balls, the little blinking thing that looks like a keyboard, the fake guitar. He loves those songs.

However, much to our dismay, he doesn’t dance to our music. Which is a bit of a bummer because Diana and I play music for him all the time. Wilco, The Dead, The Beatles, The Aquabats, Bob Marley, etc. Nothing. Nada.

But if you play him “She’ll be coming around the mountain” through plastic speakers on a ball pooping train, it’s like American Bandstand.

No comments: