Sunday, July 27, 2008

Two and a Half Smoochy Stories



A couple quick smooches before we head off to Wisconsin.

First, I scampered home Friday night to see if I could catch Elijah before he went to bed. In fact, Marianna was just finishing him off for the night. When I got to the top of the stairs, he let out an angry roar like a lion. Marianna looked down at the flailing Eli and sheepishly said, “He…he no take nap today.” He no take nap today indeed. I let her off the hook and she happily left for the night.

As I was changing his diaper, I was determined to get a kiss from him before he went to the crib. I put my face directly in his and said, “Gimmie a kiss. Gimmie a kiss.” Eli tried to dodge me, but I wouldn’t let up. Gimmie a kiss. Gimmie a kiss.

Finally, Eli grabbed me by the back of my head and planted an aggressive, 1940’s movie style kiss right on me. As if to say, “Happy? You got your stupid kiss.” I flailed around, trying to get oxygen into my lungs. He went to bed happy. I felt weird.

Second, I took Eli all day yesterday so Diana could tend to the desert that was once our garden. After several hours of watching Sesame Street, I took him upstairs to listen to sports talk radio in his room. He was happily tossing a ball around, much to the agitation of Grover. I looked around his room and realized there was a whole team of stuffed animals perched around the room that got little or no attention. A bear. A bunny. A dinosaur. A dog. And some other randoms.

So I decided to create a stuffed animal avalanche on the boy. One minute he was minding his own business and the next he was buried in fur, buttons and stuffing. At first, he laughed hysterically. But then he started smooching them. All of them. He kissed everything in sight. No animal was left out.

I got a little creeped out and snatched him away. I took him to the library where he could entertain himself with books instead of kissing. As soon as we got there he made a b-line to the giant bear in the corner of the room and proceeded to make out with it.

No comments: