Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yo Elijah Raps


I arrived home yesterday from a 6am flight and got a call from my boss as I exited the taxi. He had some important stuff to relay to me so I stood at the edge of the street listening and pretending to take notes.

As I was saying, “I completely agree,” for the tenth time, I noticed that Diana and Elijah were standing in the front door. Elijah was banging on bang on the door and howling. I hurriedly ended my conversation and ran into the loving arms of my family.

Eli was so agitated he couldn’t get at me in the street that he was pitching a huge fit. Which made me extremely happy.

Thankfully, he hasn’t grown a beard of learned how to ride a bike in my absence. But there is some hilarious speech development going on. Eli is about 90% there when it comes to speaking sentences. He gets verbs, nouns, even the dreaded pronoun. But he still hasn’t figured out how to string them together. So when he talks, his sentence structure is that of a 1980’s rap album.

“Where Grover is?”

“Where mommy go? Oh, der she be!”

“What noise that? I see airplane!”

“To the extreme, I rock the mic like a vandal, light up a stage wax a chump like a vandal.”

Alright, that last one is Vanilla Ice. But you get the idea.

I’m glad to be home, if only for a brief time.

No comments: