Monday, December 31, 2012

New Years Eve 2012





It’s that time of year again.  When I write a letter to my boys and wife to signify the end of another kick ass year of being a dad.

Dear Elijah,

I know who you are now.  It seems like all the pieces of what makes Eli Eli fell into place this year.  And let me tell you, I hope you stay this person for the rest of your life.  Because this person is completely awesome. 

You are kind.  Generous.  Funny as all get out.  You are beautiful to your brother and treat your mother like the queen she is.  You have a huge heart and you have never met a person you didn’t love, and who didn’t love you. 

I hope you’ll remember being five as a time you sang, played, laughed and screamed in outright joy.  I’ll remember it as another in a long line of best years of my life.

Don’t tell Luca, but you are my favorite son.

Dear Luca,

How can I be so lucky as to have someone like you in my life?  There’s a light that surrounds you wherever you go.  Total strangers stop and stare at you on the street because of the sheer pleasure that you live every second of every day.

I would give anything just to see the world through your eyes.  To feel your intense love of everything.  Well, fire trucks, mostly. 

You eat passionately.  You play passionately.  You hug and kiss passionately.  Cynicism has no place in your life.  And I promise to keep it from you for as long as humanly possible.  Because the world doesn’t need another cynic.  It needs Lucas.

Don’t tell Elijah, but you are my favorite son.

Dear Diana,

You taught your sons how to take risks.  You taught your sons how to act without compromise.  You taught your sons to follow their passions.  You taught them how to truly live.

I can never thank you enough for these lessons.  I am so, so proud of you and I am honored to be your husband.  All of your sacrifices will pay off a thousand fold.  Please put aside an extra bottle of Champagne at the store for just you and me.

You are my favorite person in the world.
I love you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Rick,
Please stop making me cry (with laughter or tears). Thanks!
Elizabeth