Saturday, December 8, 2012

Gangnam Style



Aside from a detail by detail account of my failures as a parent, I hope HamannEggs will serve as a little time capsule of Elijah and Luca’s lives when they grew up in the go go 2000’s. I imagine them stumbling across the blog and its hardbound book equivalents when they are in their 30’s or 40’s.  I’ll be long gone.  Hopefully not from an advertising induced heart attack.

I wonder if the mere mention of “Gangnam Style” will spark a tiny little memory for them.  I sure hope so.

For those of you who aren’t addicted to YouTube or are reading this in the year 2042, “Gangnam Style” is an internet video that’s really hard to describe.  It features this jolly Asian man who performs a rap in Asian.  And it has horses.  Yep, I think I nailed it.

Anyhoo, a few weeks ago, I came home late to a house filled with yelling and screaming Lucas and Elijahs.  As an alternative to beating them, I played the Gangnam Style video on my phone. 

The boys became instantly addicted to it.  They asked for it constantly.  Instead of asking for it by name, they begged for the “sexy lady” song.  “Sexy lady” referring to one of the few English lyrics and not because they have any idea what a sexy lady is.  Although Elijah has mentioned from time to time who much he likes the adolescent women dancers in the video.

The boys both do a very passible “Gangnam Style” dance, which involves sexily pantomiming riding a horse.  It’s a lot less creepy if you are 3 than if you are a 30 something Asian man.

But the individual who is most excited by the video is our loveable pal Grover.  Within the first electronic notes of the song, he is overcome by a desire so strong, he must leap on me and do terrible things to me. 

So, 30 year old Luca and 32 year old Elijah, look up Gangnam Style on whatever qualifies as a computer in the future.  I imagine it will be massive, black box the size of a warehouse.  And enjoy a song you loved a long time ago.


No comments: