Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hannah



Yesterday, I had a bunch of stuff to get done and rent a car for a business trip and ended up racing home because Diana was at work.  I ran through the front door and said, “Hey you guyyyyyyysssssss!”  And I expected them to leap into my arms.

Instead, both Elijah and Luca immediately burst into tears.

“No!  No!  Daddy!  Don’t be here!  Go back to work!”  Elijah shouted.  Luca actually tried to physically push me out the door.

Both boys crawled into their babysitter’s lap and clung to her like she was a life preserver. 

Her name is Hannah.

It’s as if a scientist constructed a perfect babysitter for the boys in a test tube.  She’s 22 and cute.  She works at, get this, the Lego store and has an employee discount.  She graduated from college with a degree in comic cooks.  A DEGREE IN COMIC BOOKS!

She’s really nice to the boys and creates art projects for them and shows them weird cartoons from other countries.  She also has no apparent drug problem and doesn’t seem to know how to open a bottle of wine.

I sulked into the kitchen and wrote a couple emails while Hannah finished a game with the boys.  I lowered myself on my mental ranking of who Eli loves.  But I prefer it to the option of them crying when Hannah arrives.

On a brighter note, when I left for my business trip this morning, Elijah held onto me and begged me not to leave.  He just happened to be sitting on the toilet at the time.



No comments: