Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Don Luca


When I tell people Son #2’s name, I get a wide variety of responses. A lot of people say, “I love it. I thought you were going to name him ‘Bruce.”

But my favorite response is, “Oh, Godfather. Cool.” Luca Brasi, according to Wikipedia is “One of Don Vito Corleone's personal enforcers. Brasi is portrayed as slow-witted and brutish, but his ruthlessness and his unwavering loyalty to Don Corleone means he is both feared and respected. Fluent in Italian and able to handle himself in any fight, he has a dark reputation among the underworld as a savage killer.”

Yeah, the savage killer thing isn’t really great. Nor is the slow-witted part. But I do love that we’ve injected some old school Italian in him with the name. The fact that neither Diana or I have more than a thimble full of Italian blood is besides the point.

But a thuggish enforcer for Don Corleone really fits him right now. He hasn’t gotten to the place where he smiles on command (today’s photo is a fluke). He still has his intense, stoic stare 23 hours of the day.

So last night I got home from a business trip and sat on the couch. Diana handed me my ration of wine and Luca. I held him directly in front of me and goo goo-ed and ga ga-ed. He just stared at me.

I began begging forgiveness in a thick, cartoonish Italian accent. “Pleeease Don Luca. I promise-a I’ll geta you da money! Please don’ta hurt me Don, Luca. Pleaaaaase!”

And then I’d swing his little arms and punch myself in the face with his fat little fists. I begged, “Please, no Don Luca! No!”

As you can guess, this entertained me to no end. To my surprise, this also entertained Diana. Luca could care less.

Truth be told, my “Don Luca” routine was ripped off from my twin, Steve. He used to beg forgiveness from his cat, Soze, in the same cartoon Italian. “No! Don Soze! I’ll geta you da money…”

But it’s much funnier with an infant. But way more inappropriate.

No comments: