Friday, April 16, 2010

Mornings With Luca



The other evening I decided to do an elaborate impersonation of Diana when she wakes up to feed Luca in the middle of the night. I thumped around crashing into things and grunted and moaned. “Know what I mean? You totally make noise at 4a.m. when I’m trying to sleep.”

The minute the words exited my mouth I knew two things: 1. I could not take the words back. 2. They were the wrong words to say to a sleep deprived mommy.

After repeatedly acknowledging the fact that I was not funny and I was very very dumb, I suggested, “Hey, why don’t I wake up with Luca for the 6a.m. shift?”

Diana accepted my peace offering. Since Elijah doesn’t wake up in the middle of his floor until closer to 7, I usually have almost an hour where it’s just me and Luca.

And it’s kind of awesome.

He’s a great listener. Downstairs, I lay on my back and prop him up on my knees and just talk to him.

“Do you think I'm good looking? If you agree, keep chewing your pajamas. Okay good.”

I’ve also revisited my old comedy routine from when Elijah was in infant.

“Goo. Boo. Goo goo boo.”

While Luca doesn’t laugh as hysterically as Eli did, he’ll occasionally give me a huge smile and say, “Ge.” Which I assume is Luca for, “Oh, father. You are ever so droll.”

My only struggle is keeping him from staring at TV. I try to point him away from the glowing screen of addiction, but he is like an owl. He seems to be able to crane his neck in inhuman ways to watch.

You may be thinking, “Why not just turn it off?” Because I like TV, that’s why.

When Eli wakes up, I position Luca between Eli and the TV. This gives Luca something to watch: His brother watching TV. If I get the angle right, Luca can sometimes be fooled into thinking his brother is staring intently at him instead of Curious George.
Sometimes I can get Grover placed in such a way as to create a three way stare-a-thon.

No comments: