Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ew Girl, Ew




Sorry for the lack of posts this week, True Believers.  I was stuck doing some advertising junk in a hotel out of town.  The worst part being the town was Chicago.  It’s all too silly to get into here.

Anyhoo, here’s a story I didn’t get a chance to do from last week.

Exactly seven days ago, one of Elijah’s little pals was over with cousin Finn and Cousin Rory for some bike riding and Lightsaber fighting.  They were all sitting at the kitchen table, eating McDonald’s Happy Meals.  Don’t look at me like that.  I wasn’t proud of it.

They kids were playing with their three cent toys from whatever movie McD’s was supporting and, gasp, Luca touched Rory’s girl toy.

“Ew!!!! That’s for girls!” Eli’s friend shouted.

And to my surprise, Eli joined in.  “Gross!  Girl stuff.”

Gross?  Girl stuff?  This coming from a kid who until that very moment preferred the color pink above all else?  A kid who has personally logged a hundred hours of “My Little Pony” watching?

We’re not weirdly gender neutral here.  I’m not dressing the boys in tutus.  But we put a premium on equality.

I blamed the friend and contemplated tossing him out the front door.  But I passively aggressively ate his fries instead.

Later that night, the boys and I were playing in the tub.  An activity that’s becoming less and less possible as the three of us continue to grow.  But we decided to play Star Wars guys.  They both chose Boba Fett, because of course they did.

I decided to choose Princess Leia to make a point.

Both boys laughed and said, “Ew, you chose a girl!”

I said, “First off.  Princess Leia is the most accurate shot in all the Star Wars movies (look it up, nerds).  Second, Princess Leia is completely awesome.  Third.  I don’t care if she’s a girl.” 

I then spent the next half hour schooling their pathetic Boba Fetts.  Later that night, I asked Eli what his favorite color was.  He said, “Red.  I mean pink!”





No comments: