Monday, January 16, 2012

Terror Night


The Internet Movie Database describes “Terror Night” in this way:

“Lance Hayward, a silent movie star, appears as various characters, killing quite a handful of unfortunates, using various weapons.”

I describe “Terror Night” in this way:

“Luca Hamann, devastatingly cute two year old, keeps his father awake all night using various screaming.”

Friday night, I was so exhausted from Luca’s ongoing night terrors that I did the unthinkable: I cancelled beer night with my brother.

Diana was doubly exhausted because she had to deal with a shattered Luca all day, including an epic night terror nap. She suggested I deal with Luca that night and I’d be allowed to sleep as long as I wanted the next morning. Knowing it was a trap, I was too tired to resist. So I said yes.

Luca’s first night terror occurred at precisely 9pm. And then erupted every hour on the hour. He would stand in his crib, completely asleep and scream at the top of his lungs. No, check that. He would scream at the top of Mount Everest.

I found the only way to calm him down was to carry him around. This didn’t turn out to be a viable long term solution, as I lack upper body strength.

So I tried another tact. I carried him downstairs and laid down on the couch, placing him on my chest. He gathered my chest hair into a makeshift pillow and fell immediately to sleep.

I thought I may actually get some sleep. Until I realized Luca’s version of sleep involves attempting to hurl himself off whatever he is sleeping on. I spent the next 6 or so hours catching Luca in midair as he leapt, rolled, and double gainered off the couch.

I honestly have no memory of when Diana came down in the morning and took over. But somehow I made it back upstairs to our bed.

On a positive note, Luca’s war on sleep ended Saturday night and he seems to be past his terrors. Diana has again promised never to leave again.

p.s. Today's photo is completely different than the last post. Luca's eyes are closed and you can see Diana's chin.

No comments: