Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Covid Fun


It’s been extra hard to write the blog lately with the whole…apocalypse. We’re together, we’re safe, we’re healthy. We’re adjusting to being on top of each other every second of every minute of every day.

Luca, Grover and I enjoy our little morning routine. I start each day with a cup of coffee and four hundred conference calls in my sweat pants. I take my calls at the dining room table because Luca officially took over our office. He set up a mission control with three devices running 24/7. Luca conducts video calls with classmates, watches sports videos and edits his finest Xbox Madden football plays with adorable play by play voiceovers.

Grover just lies on the floor and mentally asks, “Why? Why? Why are you here?”

The close quarters can be challenging. Luca and Elijah are basically at each other’s throats from dawn to dusk, with occasional spurts of basketball playing. I’ve noticed we’ve individually found the farthest four corners of the house to do our “I hate you and everyone and everything” pouting. 

That isn’t to say we don’t have moments of joy. I love the commute. And we’ve been eating actual meals together and making our way through the TV comforts of “The Office.” We’ve also had some epic games of Jenga and Clue.

And then there’s my mustache. 

Somewhere in the confusion and panic of that first week of quarantine, I shaved my beard into a terrible mustache. It was my version of shouting into the void. It’s awful. Mousy, scraggly, misshapen. It’s an affront to the 1970s.

Our family is passionately split. I and Luca are pro. Me, because it’s so stupid. Luca, because he thinks everything I do is awesome. Diana and Eli loathe it. Is it COVID-19 that makes Diana resist my kisses or the mustache? Eli just doesn’t agree with it aesthetically. 

Two nights ago, I put my mustache up as grand prize in our game night. The winner got to decide its fate. What no one else knew is I am ruthless at Clue and mopped the floor with everyone through my keen detective skills and abject cheating. 

Luca and I celebrated by painting my toenails bright blue. I am never going to have sex again. 

No comments: