Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Years Eve 2014


I’m sitting in my dining room, still a little shaky from an ill-advised juice cleanse. So in between trips to the rest room I have a chance to reflect on this year.

Me? Gained a great new job. Lost a great mom. I tried to be a good dad and a good father. I think I succeeded more than I failed. Or maybe it was even. But I’ll take even.

I have a few resolutions for the new year. Consume less everything. Yell less. Never do a juice cleanse ever again.

What about the rest of the family? Well, in maudlin HamannEggs tradition, I write everybody a little note that they can read in 2030.

Dear Eli,

You got funny this year. Something clicked in your that made you even more hilarious. Remember your wiener drawing? Remember your “Where goes a hamburger come from? Greece.” Joke? You still love being you and you love everyone and everything. I’ve said it before, but I’ll fight to the death to make sure you always feel that way.

I love you more than anyone.

Dear Luca,

You got brave this year. You somehow managed to shed that Hamann panicky gene that plagued you. You run headlong into anything and everything. You eat, drink, play and imagine with such gusto.  And yet, my favorite moments of 2014 are when you quietly walk up and hold my hand in a crowd.  You have so much love in you, buddy. It simply breaks my heart.

I love you more than anyone.

Dear Diana,

You got feisty this year. Whether it be taking down Eli’s bully, or taking down city hall, or taking down a crappy pre-school teacher, you fight for this family.  You are, and always will be, the one who holds this insanity together. I pity the person who tries to pull it apart. I’m so honored to be your husband. And as always, the reason I do all this is for you.

I love you more than anyone.


No comments: