Tuesday, November 26, 2013

FOUR!



When I was a kid I really, really wanted the Micronaut with the cool helmet and wings.  I prayed to Santa Claus every night for it.  But when Christmas morning came along, poof, no Micronaut with the cool helmet and wings. 

It still affects me 36 years later.

So when Luca asked for an Optimus Prime that’s not just Optimus Prime but is also a car carrier, you can be damn sure I was going to make sure he got an Optimus Prime that’s not just Optimus Prime but is also a car carrier.

Luca has been talking about this toy every day for the last month.  He wanted it so much that he offered up all the pennies in his Spiderman piggy bank to help pay for it.

Which pretty much sums up why I love this kid so much.  Who donates their life savings to help their parents pay for their own birthday present? 

After the 30th or 40th “Dad.  Can you make sure you get me the Optimus Prime that’s not just Optimus Prime but is also a car carrier because not everyone knows what it is…” Elijah finally shouted, “Luca!  We got it for you, all right?  It’s in the trunk of our car!”

The idea of his most coveted toy being on the other side of our front yard was simply too much for him to take, so Diana broke down and gave it to him a day early.  

It has not left his side in the last 48 hours. 

And now, like I do every birthday, here’s a little note just for you, Luca.

Luca, you are a tiny magician who produces joy out of thin air.  Your brightness, your spirit, your zeal for every single day has kept me going in one of the toughest times of my life.  I owe you so much.  Every morning, when I see your little head peek out of your room, I know it’s going to be the greatest day of my life.

I love you pal.

No comments: