Friday, August 30, 2013

Luca Day


I took the week off to burn a little vacation time and to see Elijah off to school.  But I also wanted to spend a little quality time with Luca, since he doesn’t start school for  another week.

By way of birth order, Luca has always been paired up with Eli.  Eli and Luca.  Luca and Eli.  Like Sunny and Cher.  Bert and Ernie.  George Bush and Satan.  Pow!  Historical burn!

Where was I?  Oh yes.  My son.  This was an unprecedented time with just the two of us for one whole week.

And Wednesday, we had one of the greatest days of my life.  I apologize in advance.  There are no jokes here.  Nothing funny or awful or disastrous happened.  It makes for a terrible blog post.  But I wouldn’t change a thing.

We decided to pack a lunch and just head off on our bikes.  With no goal.  No plan.  Just two dudes on bikes.  We headed east until we reached Lake Michigan.  We sat on the beach and made a sand castle. 

The tide came in and we decided to eat our turkey sandwiches.  They were delicious.

Next, we rode north until we found a little building selling ice cream.  We ate some.

Then we continued north until we got to the Northwestern Campus.  We decided to try to find the music department so Luca could watch a music class.  We never found the right building and it started raining so we headed home.

We stopped by the comic books store and then made it home before we got too wet.

Reading those last few sentences, they look so dull.  So boring.  So un-blog worthy.  But I loved every single minute of it.  Watching him scoot along in his oversized helmet, chattering away.  Stopping to say hello to people on the street or ducks in a nearby pond.

I loved his little feet and hands.  I loved his blue eyes and bushy hair.  I loved the dirt under his fingernails.

Yeah, sorry guys.  This post was more for me than you. 

I promise the next post will be great.  And will involve the destruction of our yard.

No comments: