Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fort



A few days ago, I flew back from a big meeting mid morning decided not to go into the office. I mean, who’s gonna know I played hooky?  Really.  It’s not like my boss is going to stumble across my admission on, say, a log of my thoughts and feelings.

Anyhoo, Elijah was at school, so it was a rare chance for Luca and I to hang out.  I asked him what he wanted to do.

“Play Power Rangers.”

“Eh, I kind of hate Power Rangers.  Can we play Legos?  Star Wars?  Fireman Sam? G.I Joe?  My Little Pony? Transformers? He Man?  Basically, what I’m trying to say is I am willing to play anything other than Power Rangers.”

“I want to play Power Rangers.”

Ugh.  I told him to meet me upstairs and get whatever give rangers their power.  I assumed spandex.  When I met him in his room I was hit with a brilliant and perfect moment of inspiration.

“Hey…what if we made a fort?”

Luca’s eyes lit up.  Yes!  A fort.  He would love to make a fort with his dada.  I quickly draped blankets and comforters from the top bunk and they made a perfect little enclosure around his bottom bunk.  We scrambled inside.

Luca wanted to know what we were supposed to play inside said stronghold.

“Oh. Well.  We can hang out and…you know…maybe take a nap or something.  Oh yeah.  A nap.” 

Luca’s eyes scanned the area for Power Ranger to play with.  Luckily, Grover helped us out.  By hating our fort with all his doggy heart.  The fact that we in in there and he was out here drove him nuts.  Grover began attacking the fort, trying to tear down our walls or dig underneath is with furor.  We suddenly had an enemy to defend against.

We fought him off with our gentle pets to his head and loving scratches behind the ears.

After a few minutes I realized it was very hot in our fort.  And incredibly stinky.  I smelled his blankie and pillow.  They just smelled regularly bad.  Not contributing to the awful stink. 

“Do you smell something stinky?”  I asked Luca.

“Yes.  I tooted.”

And then I established the one and only law of our fort.

No comments: