Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Comic Store



I have to be very, very careful here folks.  One wrong move and this whole thing could come crumbling down.  I’m talking about Super Heroes.  Elijah and Luca are totally into them.

But I can’t make the same Star Wars mistakes.  I think I pushed too hard.  Came on too strong.  I revealed my pathetic self and it disgusted them.  I was the needy girlfriend.  And it turned them off. 

I gotta be cool. 

Luckily, I have something the boys want:  Information.  I know how Peter Parker became Spider Man (radioactive spider).  I know how Bruce Banner became the Hulk (infected toenail).  On the nights I put Eli and Luca to bed, I allow a short question and answer session. 

A few Sundays ago, I dangled a pretty hefty gift in front of their eyes.  Visiting The Comic Book Store.  Yes, sons.  There is a place you can go where the walls are covered in Comic Books.  All the heroes you love and want to know everything about are there.  There are action figures.  There are posters.  There are dudes with beards and b.o.

Elijah’s response was, “I don’t want to go to the comic book store, dada.”  Damnit! I played it cool and immediately asked Luca the same question. Luca, my beautiful son, was way more excited.  So off we went.

We entered the store and the boys’ eyes went wide.  Unfortunately, I forgot how many half naked women decorate your average comic book store.  Well, what are you gonna do?  They gotta learn sooner or later that comic book girls defy gravity in every way.

I let the boys run wild and I sidled up to the guy at the register.  “Pretty great, huh?  I’m kind of awesome for bringing them here.  Father.  Of.  The.  Year.”

“We don’t got that much kids stuff,” he sniffed.  I mentally told him to shut up and thumbed through some Marvel stuff.

Luca began excitedly pointing to a big Dr. Who display.  And began naming the various Doctors.   Now, I have never watched a Dr. Who in my life (too nerdy for even me).  Hannah apparently introduced them to the good Doctor. 

But the dude behind the counter became very, very impressed with Luca’s knowledge of the Daleks and the Cybermen (thank you Wikipedia).

The students had become the masters. 

No comments: