Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hanging



Last weekend, Diana was at work and Luca was napping.  I found myself with absolutely no desire to do anything productive.  Luckily, I knew someone else who shared this feeling.  And I knew where to find him.

I poked my head into our office and found Elijah at the computer.  He was engaged in what I hope was not hacking into NORAD.  I flopped down on our daybed and thought about taking a nap.  I half heartedly flipped through a book and set it down.

“Hey Eli.  Do you know what we’re doing right now?”

“What?”

“We’re hanging out.”

“What does that mean?”

“Well, hanging out is when you sit with someone and you don’t really talk and you kind of do your own thing.  But it’s just nice to be in the same room.”

“Oh.”

He wasn’t impressed with that little life lesson.  But I sure as heck was. 

See, the thing is, I don’t just love my son, I LIKE him.  I want to hang out with him.  He’s completely awesome.  Even when we just sit there, he’s completely awesome.

I’d rather hang out with him than Obama or Michael Jordan or Brad Pitt (Jeff Tweedy, you’ll see your name isn’t on that list.  Call me).

I mean, He says things like, “Are sporks real?” 

So if you’ll excuse me, I am going to hang out with Eli.

p.s.  Today’s photo is from Eli’s first Karate test.  I believe he received the ancient Japanese honor of “Participant.” 

No comments: