Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yellow Submarine



I’ve mentioned it before, but part of Diana’s Obsessive Compulsive Disorder involves a song that’s been stuck in her head for over 10 years. In a constant and insanity-inducing loop. I’ll tell you the song’s name, but even the mere mention of it makes Diana clutch her brain like Checkov in “Star Trek: Wrath of Khan” (sometimes my references are even too nerdy for me).

So, Diana…this is your last chance to stop reading. Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

It’s Sussudio by Phil Collins. Four minutes and twenty three seconds of gibberish and one of the greatest musical crimes of the 1980’s. Imagine it. “There's this girl that's been on my mind All the time, Sussudio.” Constantly. For a decade. There isn’t a jury in the world that would convict Diana if she beat Mr. Collins over the head with a boom box.

Why couldn’t she have something awesome stuck in her head? I, for instance, have Prince’s “Raspberry Beret” going in my head right now and I love it!

Elijah also has a bit of the musical loop happening in his head. But his song is the Beatles “Yellow Submarine.” How awesome is that? I mean, we dodged a bullet on that one. Imagine if he had the Barney theme in his head all the time? I shudder.

It all happened because Eli dragged my old copy of the “Yellow Submarine” DVD off the shelf one day and demanded to watch it. Remember that trippy movie? Blue Meanies? Pepperlanders? Enough LSD to drop a horse? After his fifth or sixth viewing, I got a little concerned that we were scrambling his brain. But the only lasting effect was the imprint of the title song on his subconscious.

It is the cutest thing in the world to hear him shout/sing “We all live in the yellow submarine. Yellow submarine. Yellow submarine.”

We also got a report from his school that he serenaded his entire class with the song. He definitely takes after his mother’s theatrical gene pool.

So take a moment today to honor Eli by playing “Yellow Submarine” on your itunes. And imagine a little blonde mop head dancing around wearing a Superman shirt and no pants.

p.s. I still don’t have any new kid photos. So enjoy this photo of me and Diana after we drunkenly climbed a lifeguard tower.

No comments: