Tuesday, December 31, 2019

New Year’s Eve 2019




Over the last 12 ish years, I set aside poop and pee stories for a heartfelt end of year post, filled with cliché and weepy declarations of love. However, I didn’t bring my computer on vacation for the first time in over twenty years. It was glorious. 

That makes my post woefully late. I’m hoping to trick the Mole People who construct Blogspot out of mud and dung into thinking this is actually December 31st. If not, I’m sure the four people who actually read this will forgive and forget. 

We were in Mexico, at our usual beachy, surfy spot. But this time we came with our best friends and neighbors. We also randomly hooked up with another fun Evanston family and headed to the nicest restaurant in Sayulita. We utterly miscalculated the exchange rate, so it was lobster for everyone! Sorry, college education.

I laughed and sang and danced, which was not very on brand for me. And went home early with Luca, which was very on brand. The night ended with everyone back home banging pots and pans to ring in the new year. There might have also been some tequila in there.

Okay, now onto the good stuff.

Dear Elijah,

I honestly don’t know how you do it. Every year you get sweeter and funnier, yet maintain your status as the coolest kid on planet Earth. I know you gotta do your own thing, but remember your dad is here to listen to your troubles, or to just sit and watch TV. You’re my favorite chef, my favorite comedian, my favorite Tic-Toc star. I love you, pal.

Dear Luca,

Never in my life did I think I’d have a kid like you. So full of life, so excited, so good at sports. You defied the genetic odds! I’ll always be here to throw the football, or play Xbox or sit in the dark and listen to your secrets. You’re my favorite quarterback, sound effects machine, my favorite philosopher. I love you, pal.

Dear Diana,

My love, you are simply the greatest. You never cease to surprise me with your passion, your heart, your hilarity and your beauty. You’ve built the most wonderful life for this family and I can’t thank you enough. I’ll always be here to cuddle on the couch, eat Cheez Its and ride out the apocalypse. You’re my favorite politico, cheerleader, HGTV star and kisser. I love you, pal.

Dear Grover,

Don’t die.

No comments: