Monday, July 26, 2010

Angelina


I had to go into the office Saturday. Luckily, it wasn’t until late morning, so Diana was able to get 3 hours of sleep rather than her usual 1.5. I spent the morning shift watching Luca scoot himself backwards around our living room and explaining to Elijah why we don’t watch Star Wars before noon. He had to suffer through the indignity of watching hours of non-Star Wars cartoons.

As soon as Diana arrived downstairs to take over, I sprang into action. Brushing teeth, combing hair, changing from one pair of ratty shorts to another pair of ratty shorts. I then commenced my pre-work ritual of forcing every member of my family to kiss me and proclaim their love for me. Yes, even Grover.

As I headed to the front door, Diana asked if I had seen Luca’s new tooth. New tooth? New tooth? I had my face two inches from the kid’s face all morning and he didn’t let me in on his secret. He’s so private. So I crammed my fingers into his mouth and pried his jaws apart. There is was. A little sliver of white in his slimy gums. It was so cute.

I stood up and declared this tooth needed a name. I turned to Elijah and said, “What should we call Luca’s new tooth?”

“Angelina Ballerina.”

I turned and saw that Eli was staring at his current favorite non-Star Wars show, “Angelina Ballerina.” I loath this show. It’s a computer animated show featuring mice (or as I like to refer to them, rats) who dance and stuff. I’m sure there are lots of life lessons and fun for all ages, but I just hate it.

I said, “Really? Angelina Ballerina? That doesn’t sound much like a tooth. What about Luke Skywalker? Or Darth Tooth?”

“No, the tooth’s name is Angelina Ballerina.”

I turned to Luca. “How do you feel about this?” He just grinned.

I let it drop and went to work. I arrived home hours later and found the family playing in the backyard. Luca was cackling in a swing, while Eli was relocating worms from one side of the yard to the other.

I bent down to talk to Luca. “How is your tooth, little guy? Have we decided on a name for it yet?”

From across the yard I heard Eli yell, “Angelina Ballerina!”

Diana suggested we name his next tooth “Brad.”

p.s. Luca should only be photographed in blue shirts.

No comments: