Thursday, December 31, 2020

New Year’s Eve 2020



Whew. As I sit on my panic-purchased office yoga ball and reflect on the last year, I can't help but feel incredibly lucky.

Yes, I know the official image of 2020 will forever be a dumpster on fire. Yes, we barely dodged health bullets and career bullets and we fought and screamed and I may or may not have chucked a TV remote at Elijah’s head. But we did it together. The center held. 

 

I delivered wine cases from my Prius after 12 hours of Zoom meetings. Eli taught Luca fractions in the basement in between video games. Luca serenaded anxious dogs with sweet little songs in the middle of the night. And Diana managed to turn herself into five separate people to keep our family afloat and take down a wannabe evil despot. 

 

Many, many people were not so fortunate. My heart breaks for them. We’re lucky. So lucky. I can’t say it enough times. We’re lucky. 

 

As is tradition in HamannEggs, we’ll end the year as we always to, with a little note to everyone.

 

Dear Elijah,

 

You are the funniest person on the planet. You’re bright and wonderful and creative and beautiful. You are an amazing kid and the best friend a dad could have. I’m so glad you are in my life. I love you.

 

Dear Luca, 

 

You are the smartest person on the planet. You are crazy and silly and a techno-genius. You rule. You never cease to surprise me. I treasure our late-night cuddle sessions. I’m so glad you are in my life. I love you.

 

Dear Diana,

 

You are the love of my life. Your humor and passion and kindness has singlehandedly kept us alive during this nightmare. You’re an inspiration. You are a liberal warrior. Plus, you’re hot. I am so glad you are in my life. I love you.

 

Dear Jerry,

 

Welcome to the family, you blockhead. I love you.

 

Dear Grover,

 

Thanks for not dying. I love you.

 

No comments: