Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Frat House


Wet, dirty clothes everywhere. Clods of dirt covering our foyer. Empty bags of chips strewn across our basement, under the blue couch and stuffed under beds. Pieces of a ripped up soda can on the steps. A pair of rubber boots filled with water. 

Diana looked across the disaster and sighed, “I live in a frat house.”

I lived in a frat house. Our house is in far worse condition. And we don’t have a 6 foot bong called “Bob the Bong.”

I’m not sure where the tipping point happened, but we’re fearful our house will never be clean again. Oh, we make Elijah and Luca clean up. But within minutes, our house is back to being a wildebeest birthing center. 

This doesn’t work well with Diana’s increasing fear of THE VIRUS. As more and more cases pop up across the country, the more Diana needs things to be clean. I am required to step into a chemical bath before kissing her.

The boys haven’t just stopped at destroying our house. They’ve turned their sights to our neighbors. Last Sunday, Luca accidentally broke a window two doors down during an especially ambitious game. The footage of the event can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNaHUxi6H-U

Luca begged Diana not to tell me about the window, because he was afraid I’d freak out and yell at him. So, she quietly swept the glass under the rug, so to speak, and worked out the new window details with our neighbors without my knowledge.

Our neighbor Paul came to our door a little while later to let us know he wanted to pay for part of the damage. 

At which point I totally freaked out. In my defense, the math in my head was Luca broke a window without telling me or anyone and was sticking Paul with the bill.

Much like our filthy house, my rage had hit a tipping point and no amount of Luc explanation could quell my yelling. 

With Diana’s calming help, I finally understood the whole story and apologized to Luca profusely for losing my mind. I felt awful for yelling but also for forcing Luca to keep things from me because of my yelling.

I decided to leave the empty raspberry container in the middle of the room, where it belonged. 

No comments: