Wednesday, November 29, 2017

EIGHT


-->

This post is way late. But our little Luca officially turned Eight on the 25th.  God, I love that kid.

As with every Thanksgiving weekend, Diana had to fight off the onslaught of wine lovers who dared want to purchase things on the day of Luca’s birth.

I asked Luca how he wanted to spend the day. Movie? Children’s Museum? Sitting at home all day in our PJs?

In the cutest move ever, Luca suggested we go visit Chicago. What do you mean? I asked. What do you want to see? Chicago. What do you want to do? See Chicago.

“It’s the third largest city. I want to see it.”

Elijah came along because he had no choice and sensed he would be able to draft off any birthday related treats.

We parked in my spot downtown and the boys said, “Whoa! Look at how big those buildings are!” I started to make fun of them for thinking the cruddy condos around my office were cool. But then I realized they were, in fact, cool if you weren’t a total cynic.

I decided to lock my inner cynic in the trunk of the Prius (With the windows cracked. I’m not a monster.) and we held hands and visited Maggie Daley park, pretending to be tourists. We looked at the big silver Bean at Millennium Park. We spent over and hour at the big candy store and I let them buy whatever they wanted. We looked at the Christmas lights on Michigan Ave and tried to figure out what to do for the homeless man with the thing on his leg.

We then capped it off with a trip to the Disney Store. I’m glad I left my inner cynic in the car because he would’ve hated it. But the cynic-less Rick loved it. It was packed and sweaty with Black Friday holdovers. But the staff was well trained in burying their feelings deep.

I told Luca to pick out one thing he wanted. The “within reason” was silent. Knowing his audience, he picked out a big Star Wars helmet. I immediately bought two because Eli.

We then held hands and walked back to my car. Luca asked which office was mine and I said, “That ugly brownish black one over there.”

Luca said, “I think it looks cool.”



No comments: