Thursday, July 17, 2014

Disasters


Luca has the best imagination on the face of the planet.  He does that thing where he puts his eyeball down on the ground, right next to whatever robot or fire truck he’s playing with so he can be extra close to the action.  And he gets so into his imagination that his body literally shakes when something imaginarily blows up.

As such, I love playing with him.  He has such great storytelling instincts.  The only bummer is trying to find an ending to his adventures.

The other night, I put some dinner in the oven and Luca asked me to play Transformers.  Sure, I said.  But I made it clear I had only a few minutes.

“Oh no!  There’s a flood in town?  What do we do?”  Luca and I crawled around on his blue rug, digging a pretend drain for all the pretend water.

I stood up and brushed off my hands.  “Done and done.”

Luca leapt up, “Oh no!  There’s an avalanche!  Rocks are falling on our town now!”

I sat back down and got back to work saving the morons who live in a town that suffers from both floods and rockslides.  I could hear timer ding on the oven.  But I couldn’t abandon these people.

With the help of the Rescue Bots, we held back the disaster.  The townspeople didn’t even say thank you.

“Okay.  Whew.  That was a close one, now off to eat my cooling dinner…”

“Oh no!  An asteroid is flying at the town!  What will we do?”

I looked up wearily.  “Is it the apocalypse?  Maybe The Rescue Bots should spend this opportunity praying to not be Left Behind.”

With the help of a giant laser, we exploded the meteor. 

“Yay!” I said, “Now good night Rescue Bots.”

“Oh no!  A fire!”

Eventually, I left the citizens of Luca’s town to die from whatever it is the vengeful god dropped down on him and went to eat my cold dinner.


It was a disaster.

No comments: