Friday, March 8, 2019

18 Hour Vacation


A few months ago, Diana booked a little pre-Spring Break jaunt down to Mexico. From the start, it was unlikely I was going to be able to go. A lot of work junk was colliding. But we kept the option open that I’d be able to go.

As the week approached, the chanced dropped to zero. I was in the middle of two new business pitches and winning new business was the best way to continue being employed and be able to afford pre-Spring Break trips for the family. Everyone was bummed, but I had been jabbering so often about the chances being low that no one was particularly surprised.

Suddenly, a tiny little window opened. By some miracle, I found myself with a non-working weekend. I debated flying down. It was pretty stupid to spend all my airline miles for essentially 18 hours of time with the family. It was a waste of money and would very likely make me sick from exhaustion and general gross airplane grossness.

So of course I went.

The boys were excited. Diana was excited. I was excited. Grover was excited to be able to make out with the neighbor dog for 2 days.

After a small check in mess, I made it to Mexico and met the family.

They were determined to give me a full vacation in 18 hours. We went to the giant Mexican grocery store I love. We found the junkyard dog, who we named “Bubby” a few years ago. We played Marco Polo. We went to the beach. The boys disobeyed orders to not get their dinner clothes wet in salt water. I yelled at them. I took away their screen privileges. I drank a margarita. I gave back their screen privileges. We ate lobster. Diana and I drank too much wine. We found a lizard in our rental house. Diana and I stayed up late smooching and listening to Mariachi bands.

I flew back to Chicago the next morning and collapsed.

Totally worth it.


-->

No comments: