Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year’s Eve 2016




As I lay in bed last night, I thought about just how lucky I am. I have a wonderful wife, two amazing kids, a microwave and a dog who will live forever. All was right and perfect and…

Damnit! I forgot to write my New Year’s Eve post!

Oh man. It’s been so many hours since NYE, I’ll have to piece this together somehow. Our neighbors took pity on us and hosted the party this year. The official kid count down was 10pm, but there was a rumor circulating that a rebel band of kids would be allowed to stay up until midnight. Diana and I quashed that right quick.

Within five minutes, neighbor Chris handed me a drink called “Four Things” that was as advertised. Shortly afterwards, I found myself in a heated conversation with a five year old about which Star Wars movie was the greatest. Luca discovered the unlimited supply of orange juice that tasted “Like an airplane” so we were all feeling great.

After another couple Four Things, I found myself watching a performance of “Hamilton” by a crew of 10 year old girls. At the time, I considered it the greatest theatre in the world and I was prepared to bankroll their production.

Suddenly, Lexa called out ten seconds until Midnight. Midnight? Where did the time go? I had a deep melancholy “Where did the time go” moment and rushed to hug my sons and tell them I loved them, which was exactly what they wanted in front of their friends. I may have also told their friends I loved them too.

And now is the time for me to blubber to my family in written form.

Dear Eli,

You are now officially a great kid. There is no arguing your sweetness, your humor, your incredible little soul. I can barely carry you anymore. And despite how crushing that is, I’m so lucky to see you grow into your own person. I am in love with how amazing your brain is. I hope you continue to use it for good.

Dear Luca,

I’m so proud of your bravery. You broke my heart so many times as you faced your fears. I think you may have finally discovered how great you actually are. I am in love with your creativity and humor. Not a day goes by that you don’t make me laugh.

Dear Diana,

You are, and will always be, the one who keeps this thing together. As long as we have you, nothing can beat us. Eli, Luca and I are the luckiest people on the planet to have your passion, your talent and your giant heart to keep us safe.

Dear Grover,

Don’t die.


-->

No comments: