Thursday, September 17, 2009

Art




I was at the airport the other day listening to Diana run down our son’s recent offenses. He is really fighting napping over the last week, which turns Elijah into his evil doppelganger, Halije. According to Di, Halije was in rare form that day. Most notably, he screamed at a line judge at the US Open and yelled, “You Lie!” at the President during an important Healthcare speech to Congress.

As I got ready to board the plane, I pleaded with Diana to give me some positive Elijah, not Halije news. She mentioned that he brought home some art from school.

Oooh. That got me excited. As you may remember, the Hamann genetic pool contains some real artistry. My grandfather and older brother Dave are (were) accomplished photographers and Steve is an incredible painter. I, unfortunately don’t carry the visual art gene. My skills fall into the, um, word making type thing.

I asked if it was awesome. Diana replied that she didn’t really know what is was. But it was cute. Halije was howling in the background, so she had to let me go.

When I got home later that night, I poured myself a big glass of wine and stood in front of the museum wall (fridge). I was overcome with pride. It was obviously an abstract rendition of the superhero “Black Panther.” You can clearly see him punching his yellow fist into the left side of the page. For you non nerds, I’ve posted a picture of “Black Panther” as reference.

I ran upstairs and crept into Eli’s coffin and kissed the little artist as he slept.

p.s. Steve came over last night and remarked that Eli’s painting looks like an H.R. Giger piece. I attached reference as well. Let’s hope that wasn’t his intention.

No comments: